Winter is well and truly upon us and cold winter nights call for warm hearty soups. This Pumpkin, Ginger and Turmeric soup is super easy to make and full of goodness. Pumpkin is a great source of fibre to help keep your digestive system on track, turmeric is a powerful antioxidant and anti-inflammatory and ginger helps boost your immune system to assist with keeping those winter colds at bay!
- 1 Medium Pumpkin (any variety will work e.g. butternut)
- 2 Sweet Potatoes
- 8 Carrots
- 6 cm Piece of Ginger Minced
- 2 Shallots or 1/2 a Brown Onion
- 2 Cloves of Garlic
- 2 tsp of Turmeric
- 6 tbsp of Natural Pot Set Yoghurt
- 2 tbsp butter
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Roughly chop the pumpkin, sweet potato and carrots and set aside
- Finely cut the shallots or brown onion and mince the garlic and ginger
- Put a large pot on the stove on a medium to high heat and add the butter
- Once the butter is melted add the garlic, shallot or onion and turmeric to the pot, stir on a medium to high heat until fragrant
- Add the pumpkin, sweet potato and carrots to the pot mix well, add salt and pepper to taste
- Fill the pot with water and bring to the boil, then simmer until the vegetables are nice and soft (about 30 to 45 mins)
- Take the pot off the heat and let it cool for about 15 minutes
- Carefully add the liquid to a blender in batches
- Return the soup to a low heat and mix through until it is warm enough to serve
- Use a ladle to serve the soup add a dollop of natural yoghurt and season with salt and pepper.
Makes 4 to 6 serves.