Looking for a tasty and nutritious dinner that doesn’t require a lot of effort?
Then try out this tasty poached chicken with quinoa and greens dish! Quinoa has been around for a long time, about four thousand years in fact! It was originally used by the Incas who believed this super-seed improved the stamina of thier warriors. Quinoa has recently become popular again and there is good reason for this:
- It provides almost twice as much fibre as other grains
- Contains iron
- Contains lysine (essential for tissue growth and repair)
- Contains manganese (an antioxidant which helps protect cells from damage by free radicals).
Cue in some hearty poached chicken and a selection of greens and you got yourself a dish that ticks all the right boxes – nutritious, satisfying, full of flavour.
- 1 chicken breast (free-range and organic if possible)
- 1 cup of quinoa (rinsed to remove quinoa’s natural coating, called saponin, which can make it taste bitter or soapy)
- 2 cups of green vegetables (e.g. try this great combination – snow peas, broccoli, spinach, green peas and zucchini)
- Knob of butter
- 1/3 cup parsley
- 1/2 an avocado
- 1 chilli
- 1/4 cup of macadamia oil
- 1 clove of garlic
- 1/2 fresh lime
- 1 shallot
- 3cm cube of ginger (minced)
- 1 tbsp of honey
- Add the chicken breast to a saucepan filled with water and leave to poached on a medium heat
- Add the rinsed quinoa to a saucepan with water and bring to the boil
- Meanwhile cut the green vegetables up into small pieces, chop the parsley and avacado and set aside
- Add the chilli, macadamia oil, garlic, lime, shallot, ginger and honey to a blender and blend until combined into a consistent sauce
- Reduce the heat on the quinoa and cook until the grains sprout
- Add the knob of butter to a frypan and cook the green vegetables to your liking (I like to keep them nice and crunchy, so I don’t cook them for too long!)
- Once the chicken breast is cooked, remove from the saucepan and shred with a fork
- Combine the quinoa, chicken and sauce in a bowl and mix well
- Serve into two bowls and garnish with fresh parsley and avocado.